If you were wondering what to prepare for dinner tonight, local chef Zola Nene may just have the answer, with her simple and delicious sweetcorn and cheddar risotto that you can make in the microwave.
“Making risotto doesn’t have to be tedious… especially when you do it in the microwave! I let my LG NeoChef do all the hard work for me,” she says.
Watch her easy step-by-step video to make risotto in the microwave below:
* Serves 4
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 20g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely crushed
- 2 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 ½ cups Arborio or risotto rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tin creamed sweetcorn
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Place the olive oil, butter, onion, garlic and thyme into a large microwave-safe dish. Microwave on full power for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and 2 cups of stock, stir well, then return to the microwave for 3 minutes on full power.
- Stir in the creamed sweetcorn and return to the microwave for 6 minutes, stirring after 3 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining stock and cheese, then return to the microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Leave to rest for 2 minutes, then stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve.
Although this microwave risotto only takes 15 minutes to make, there’s no sacrificing flavour here – the result is a deliciously creamy, cheesy and satisfying meal that the whole family will love.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.