Many moms make this move anywhere from 15 months. However, 18 – 20 months seems to be the most popular time.
A toddler bed is generally a low bed with side rails. It will use the same size mattress as the one in the cot. Some families may just move straight to a single bed, if the family genes are tall, chances are a toddler bed won’t last long.
- Wait until they are around the age of 2 years. The sides of the cot keep them safe and saves you and your child from worrying about rolling off the side of the bed in their sleep.
- Make a big deal out of the move, it could be viewed as a reward for good sleeping habits.
- Take your child shopping to choose the linen, a fluffy bear to hug at night and a bedside light. If they need the toilet during the night or have a night terror, this will help ensure they don’t stumble around looking for a light switch.
- If you are going bed shopping, let them go with you so that they can be involved in the choice, and prepare themselves emotionally for the change.
- Create a bedtime poster. This could include the story book titles, sleep time, wake-up time, putting on the pjs, brushing teeth and lights out.
- Stick to bedtime routines. Most children go to sleep by 8pm. Allow for time to wind down, read a story, discuss the day’s events and say a prayer. Give a final hug and kiss good night and “don’t let the bed bugs bite” (this caused many giggles with my twins) and leave the room.
- If they get up in the night, return to the room continuously and put them back in bed speaking firmly and don’t allow for any distractions like “one more hug“.
- Make sure the room is safe. The windows must have bars, the door shouldn’t have a key in it, there should be no open plug points, and all medicines and baby products should be packed away on a high shelf or in an inaccessible cupboard.
- Buy two pool noodles and tuck them under the sheets length-ways down the sides of the bed. This will help to prevent accidental roll outs onto the floor in the middle of the night.
Marion Smith is a mom of four boys. She has been in the childcare recruitment industry for over 15 years and has been the Chairlady of the Twin Association for 11 years. Learn more about her business, Aupairs Exclusive here. https://aupairsexclusive.com/about-2/