The lockdown and the stress that goes along with it is affecting our kids as well – especially their sleeping patterns. So many moms have been asking for advice on how they can get their little ones to sleep through at night because they just can’t cope with a toddler waking up two to three times every night.
We asked Homeopath Dr Vicki Compère for advice on what you can use to send your toddler off to dreamland.
Dr Vicki says while these herbs will help settle your toddler at night, it’s useful to consult with a Homeopath as he or she she will help you choose the right remedy depending on your child’s specific pattern and conditions.
Give these herbs a try tonight:
- Chamomile tea
- Lavender herb or essential oil (in the bath, massage oil or in a diffuser)
Supplements that you can try:
- A magnesium supplement
- An Epsom salts bath
Dr Vicki says the great thing about homeopathy is that not only will it treat your child’s sleeplessness, but it will also address the underlying cause of why your little one is not sleeping well. “Homoeopathy can also address fears around sleeping in older children (like the dark or monsters, etc.) and stages like sleep walking or night terrors.
Reasons your toddler might not be sleeping well
“Digestive issues or growing pains may also cause restless sleep and can be addressed with specific remedies,” says Dr Vicki.
She suggests the following natural remedies:
- Chamomilla is used for irritable, inconsolable children with a high pain sensitivity especially during teething, that are restless and toss around.
- Arsenicum Album is for anxious children and babies.
- Aconitum Napellus is for insomnia caused by a great fright or fear.
- Cypripedium is used for babies or children who wake up and play in the middle of the night.
- Gelsemium can help if your child can’t settle because they’re worrying about events happening the next day.
- Kali phos is great for the child who is overstimulated from a busy day and can’t wind down.
- Mag phos or Calc phosis great for growing pains at night.
More about the expert:
Dr Vicki Compère is a qualified Homeopath, who practices in Johannesburg at the Centre for Holistic Health. She is committed to a homeopathic philosophy and works, diagnoses and treats holistically. Learn more about Dr Vicki Compere here.
Xanet is an award-winning journalist and Living and Loving’s digital editor. She has won numerous awards for her health and wellness articles and was a finalist for the Discovery Journalist of the Year in 2009 and again in 2011 for the Discovery Best Health Consumer Reporting and Feature Writing category. She is responsible for our online presence across social media channels and makes sure our moms have fresh and interesting articles to read every day. Learn more about Xanet Scheepers.