Chips, potato wedges, mash, roast potatoes, potato bake, hash browns – these are the most common dishes potatoes are used for in South African homes.
But, have you thought about using potatoes to make a dessert? Using potatoes to make sweet treats is becoming a huge trend.
Make these mashed potato truffles and see what you think:
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 200g chocolate chips
- ½ cup coating of choice such as cocoa powder, finely chopped nuts or desiccated coconut (or all three)
- Place the chocolate chips in a small microwaveable bowl and melt in the microwave at 50% power.
- When they have melted entirely, stir in the mashed potatoes.
- Add the vanilla and stir well.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once firm, take tablespoon-sized scoops and roll them into a ball with your hands.
- Roll in your desired topping, then place on a baking sheet and refrigerate.
- They will keep in the fridge for a week.
Try them – you’ll be amazed at how delicious they are.
*Recipe by Rachel Lynch
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.