Chef Bernice Warner from Capsicum Culinary Studio’s Port Elizabeth campus shares her recipe for homemade peri-peri sauce and pan-fried bread.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 200g boneless chicken breast fillets, skin removed and cubed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons homemade peri-peri sauce (see recipe below)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 125ml cooking cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley
- In a very hot skillet/frying pan, melt the butter and fry the cubed chicken pieces until golden brown on both sides.
- Add the garlic and peri-peri sauce and allow to fry for another minute or so until fragrant then add the lemon juice and cream.
- Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 5 – 7 min or until cooked.
- Serve with fried bread.
Pan fried bread
- 1 cup cake flour
- 5ml baking powder
- 15ml olive oil
- 125ml yoghurt
- Pinch of salt
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and stir in the wet ingredients, you might need to add a drop of water if you find the dough to be dry. The dough will need to be rolled out to approximately 1 cm thick on a lightly floured surface and then cut into rounds.
- Fry in a medium to high heat frying pan with some cooking oil until golden on both sides and soft to the touch. Serve with the chicken.
Homemade peri–peri sauce
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon/ lime juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 40ml chili powder
- 40ml paprika
- 40ml salt
- 40ml chopped garlic
- 10 bird’s eye chilies, finely chopped, keep seeds in for the heat.
Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until well combined. The sauce improves with time and will be fierier after standing for a while.
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.