Are you and your family heading to the beach this summer? Don’t leave the house without checking out our top 5 tips for making your first beach trip with baby a success!
Tip #1: Prep Ahead
If you’re planning to spend a day (or more) at the beach, do yourself a favor and start preparing the day before. Packing all the essentials ahead of time will save you from rushing around the morning of.
- Have your diaper bag ready: Be sure to include wipes, diapers, sun lotion, baby powder, a change of clothes, and snacks!
- Easy travel: A jogging stroller with rubber tires is a MUST. They glide easily through the sand and (bonus!) your little one might fall asleep in it for an on-the-go nap.
- Pack a back-up: Having a diaper bag in the car will ensure your must haves are at the ready and sand-free for the ride home.
Tip #2: Keep baby cool
In hot temps, you need to bring your own shade to help keep baby from overheating–after all, they’re still figuring out how to regulate their own body temperature!
- Protect from the rays: You can use natural baby sunscreen, but it’s best to keep them out of direct sun as much as you can.
- Throw some shade: Consider a big beach umbrella or canopy. Some moms recommend a small pop-up tent for on the shore naps.
- Prevent overheating: Bring along a clip-on, battery powered fan to create your own personal breeze!
- Cover the cheeks: Wide brim hats and some cool baby sunglasses will help keep the sun out of baby’s eyes and off their face.
Tip #3: Know what to leave at home
Bringing all the necessities is super important – but don’t go overboard!
- Pack light for easy travel: Don’t overload yourself with multiple full bags. The walk from the car will be much easier.
- Load up the wagon: Along with (or in place of) your stroller, bring a pull wagon to pack coolers, beach chairs and bulky gear.
- Skip the toy box: Sand toys are great for older kids, but your baby will be occupied discovering sand, shells, and waves. Digging their hands in the sand alone will keep them entertained.
Tip #4: Keep your schedule
Even a relaxing day at the beach can be exhausting. You and baby are likely to be sleepy after spending the day in the sun, so it’s more important than ever to make sure your baby is getting enough rest.
- Bring along your baby’s perfect-for-summer Premier Zen Sleepwear™ so they can take their naps in the shade at their normal nap times.
- Be back in time for your bedtime routine to prevent your little one from getting overtired.
- Even if your nightly routine doesn’t usually include a bath, make time for one tonight so baby can fall asleep sans-sand.
- Use the Zen Bodysuit to give baby a little extra comfort after a long day and keep them cool during the summer nights.
Tip #5: Keep it stress-free
You may be nervous bringing your family to the beach – especially if it’s one of the first times with a baby! But keep in mind that this trip won’t look like your pre-baby beach outings.
Plan for a shorter day:
- Start with a beach day-trip for 1-2 hours
- Go to a nearby beach with short travel time
- Have a family’s house or hotel nearby to take baby if they get fussy
Introduce your baby to the ocean:
- Dip their toes in the water coming ashore so they get comfortable. But know that not all babies are ocean lovers.
- Take turns getting in shallow water with your little one to help them enjoy the waves